Theses are statements I often hear:
- “I have backup software, so my data is safe”
- “Our backups are secure because they are offsite”
- “We will know if we get hit with ransomware”
Wrong, wrong, and wrong! Read on.
That last statement stands out as famous last words to the tune of $3.7 million. According to estimates quoted in this article, Ryuk ransomware has brought in $3.7M since last August. The attacks, slowly spread over many months, targeted multiple companies that had to make an expensive business continuity choice.
LIMITS OF BACKUPS AND INTRUSION DETECTION
Every data security-savvy organization needs backup software and intrusion detection. Many of Ryuk’s victims undoubtedly use such systems. But these defences do not provide the calibre of disaster recovery you need when (not if) a disaster hits.
Disasters do take the form of ransomware. And faulty equipment. And human error. And environmental disasters. It takes just one of these events to take down your organization.
Consider what these systems were not designed to do:
- Protect backups (onsite or off) from encryption by ransomware
- Prevent deletion of data, since the data has not been made immutable.
- Enable fast failover of not just one VM but entire VM clusters
Tangential note: We know it’s good practice to test backups. We also know that 70 percent of companies leave backups untested. Please forgive us for repeating ourselves, but we talked about this at length in this blog post. (No, we’re not pointing accusing fingers… really.)
WHAT DOES AN ENTERPRISE-GRADE DISASTER RECOVERY SYSTEM LOOK LIKE?
We think it looks a lot like ioFABRIC software, but you be the judge. ioFABRIC software:
- provides a recovery option from all sorts of failures, including ransomware attacks.
- pre-boots backups automatically, using artificial intelligence. That way, we know these backups are bootable. In other words: we know they’ve been tested.
- makes your data immutable. In other words: it won’t be changed by malicious actors. Once it’s immutable, we can place it on the secured site or public cloud of your choice.
SEE ROBUST DISASTER RECOVERY FOR YOURSELF
Book a demo of ioFABRIC software. We look forward to your questions, and your amazement.